Home » News » Islamists kidnap Christian in Egypt: ‘We fear torture and savage death’

Islamists kidnap Christian in Egypt: ‘We fear torture and savage death’

Adeeb Nakhla, a Coptic Christian, was kidnapped by an ISIS affiliate group in Sinai, Egypt last January. Since then, there has been no news of his whereabouts or condition.

On January 17, 2019, around 9am, Nakhla, 55, was traveling from Ismailia to Al-Arish to visit relatives, when a militant Islamic group stopped the minibus he was riding in and checked the national identity cards of those on board. The cards state religious affiliation, and when the militants saw that Nakhla was a Christian, they asked him to get out of the vehicle. He was taken away.

Nakhla had fled Al-Arish two years ago, as did dozens of Christian families who moved to Ismailia after receiving death threats. A relative, who spoke to Aid to the Church in Need on condition of anonymity, said that many Coptic Christians who chose to stay were slaughtered: “We left Al-Arish in 2017, after terrorists killed seven of our neighbors. Among the dead were a father and son; they burnt their bodies and their home, and the mother, Nabila, was forced to watch. She is severely traumatized.”

Portrait of ADEEB NAKHLA, a Coptic Christian, was kidnapped by an ISIS affiliate group in Sinai, Egypt in January 2019. Since then, there has been no news of his whereabouts or conditio.
Portrait of ADEEB NAKHLA, a Coptic Christian, was kidnapped by an ISIS affiliate group in Sinai, Egypt in January 2019. Since then, there has been no news of his whereabouts or conditio.

Last year, Nakhla’s family returned to Al-Arish, where family members work and own property; Nakhla stayed in Ismailia for his job. Nakhla’s relative said: “We had to return to our home and work. We were unemployed in Ismailia, and we lived on aid from the Church. Conditions in the city have improved thanks to the Egyptian army’s stepped-up campaign against terrorist groups, though it is still dangerous on the road.”

He continued: “Militants affiliated with ISIS have staged ambushes on the highways and launched attacks on civilians and security forces. The Muslim driver of the communal taxi Uncle Adeeb rode in said that militants clad in khaki stopped the vehicle and started to check national identity cards. When they saw that Uncle Adeeb was a Christian, they asked him to get out. Our biggest fear is that they may abuse, torture, and kill him, just as savagely as they have other Copts.”

Violence towards Coptic Christians in Egypt has increased since the fall of President Hosni Mubarak in 2011. Most attacks have occurred in northern Sinai, where, according to the Gospel, the Holy Family entered Egypt. In 2012, unknown assailants issued a handwritten statement demanding that all remaining Copts leave the border city of Rafah; since then, a number of local Copts have been kidnapped and killed by terrorist groups.

Don't miss the latest updates!

Church in Colombia aids victims of devastating earthquake while assessing damages

A 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck large parts of western and central…

Earthquake in Colombia: Church assessing needs for emergency aid

A devastating 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck much of western and…

ACN joins Mexican bishops’ call for religious freedom

The Catholic bishops of Mexico have marked the centenary of…

The return of Iraq’s Christians: a possible model for Nigeria

Catholic leaders advocate for the right of return of internally…

Medjugorje vandalisation is latest in wave of desecrations

From Spain to the USA, several churches have been vandalised…

Iraqi Prime Minister: “Christians are an active component, an essential part of Iraqi society”

The Iraqi government is offering incentives for Christians to return…

Beatification of Patriarch Hoyek is a sign of hope for Lebanon

On 25 July, in Lebanon, the Maronite Church will celebrate…

Bishop denounces rise in criminality in Mozambique, as religious sisters attacked

This is not the first time a religious home has been violently attacked in the African country, which is still dealing with a violent insurgency in the north. The president...

Church in Colombia aids victims of devastating earthquake while assessing damages

A 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck large parts of western and central Colombia on Monday, 10 August. The epicentre was recorded in the municipality of San José del Palmar, in the department...

Earthquake in Colombia: Church assessing needs for emergency aid

A devastating 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck much of western and central Colombia on Monday. While authorities assess the scale of the emergency, the Catholic Church is already accompanying affected communities...