Home » News » Nigeria: We will rise again

Nigeria: We will rise again

Parish priest commits to remain and rebuild after Yelewata massacre 

The priest in Nigeria who narrowly escaped with his life following one of the country’s worst massacres of Christians has spoken of his determination to stay and help the community rise again out of the ashes of persecution. Father Ukuma Jonathan’s latest interview with Catholic charity Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) comes amid latest reports showing the death toll in Yelewata, Benue State, had risen to more than 200, with as many as 20 corpses recently discovered in the bush and inside an empty building.

The parish priest said that two days after the massacre, as few as 20 people were at Sunday Mass in the town’s St Joseph’s Church – down from the normal attendance of nearly 500 – with the rest either dead or scattered to neighbouring towns and villages. He said he was determined to stay to rebuild the parish despite the trauma of coming close to being killed by gunmen during the massacre and even though he has been a priest for less than two years.

Stressing that the town lies close to Benue’s “volatile” border with Nasarawa State, he called for beefed-up security, either a military base or a full-scale barracks. He added that – provided security is in place – families who fled on Friday night wanted to return.

Speaking on Wednesday, 18 June, Father Jonathan told ACN: “I am very much here in Yelewata This is where I am staying. I will continue to serve the people here for the glory of God.” He recalled how he was trying to put behind him the “terrifying” experience he had on the night of the massacre, when at the sound of gunfire outside he and others including children threw themselves on the floor in his presbytery. He went on: “Many of our people who are scattered wish they could come back and rebuild their lives.”

Father Jonathan said that, although the victims of the attack were IDPs living in temporary accommodation in the town’s market square, many see Yelewata as their home. He stressed the need for support for the IDPs now sheltering in towns such as Dauda and he called for prayers and action towards justice and peace. He added: “May God grant eternal rest to those who lost their lives, consolation to the grieving and the return of peace.”

Stressing the need to stop the violence, the priest said: “The night the atrocity happened, the police did whatever they could. In future, we hope that there will be more security personnel provided. The government have said that they would go after the perpetrators, and we are hoping that they will go to the root of the problem.”

Visiting the scene of the massacre earlier this week, General Christopher Musa, the Chief of the Defence Staff in Nigeria, reportedly suggested insider collaboration in the attacks, saying: “We have observed that the way some of the burnings were carried out shows they were targeted. It indicates the presence of insiders compromising security efforts.”

 

Don't miss the latest updates!

Ukraine: “You did not only give us food, but a taste of God”

In eastern Ukraine people have grown numb to the danger…

Catholics returning ‘in their thousands, not hundreds’ say bishops

Thousands of Catholics in north-east Nigeria have returned to church…

Bishops of Venezuela ask country to come together for national reconciliation

The bishops’ have asked for the release of political prisoners,…

Catholic Church steps up pressure on Nigerian government over rising violence

Over the past days several Catholic organisations and dioceses have…

Significant drop in arrests of priests in 2025 but deaths increase

The number of kidnappings also dropped slightly compared to 2024…

Christians call for peace and prayers as violence returns to Aleppo

Civilians are once again the main victims as the Kurdish-led…

Nigeria: A decade of terror for Catholic priests

New data highlights scale of priest kidnappings amid Nigeria’s security…

Gaza prepares for a Christmas without peace, but not without hope

As Christmas approaches, the priest of the only Catholic parish…

Ukraine: “You did not only give us food, but a taste of God”

In eastern Ukraine people have grown numb to the danger of air raids but faith is growing. A bishop tells ACN that “without your help we would be like refugees.”...

Catholics returning ‘in their thousands, not hundreds’ say bishops

Thousands of Catholics in north-east Nigeria have returned to church in defiance of their fears following more than 15 years of violent insurgencies. Bishop John Bakeni and Bishop Oliver Doeme,...

Four years of ACN support in war-torn Ukraine

The generosity of countless benefactors has helped to keep the Church in Ukraine alive and ready to continue to help those suffering most from the full scale invasion of 2022....