Home » News » Bishop denounces illegal occupation of Church land in Mozambique

Bishop denounces illegal occupation of Church land in Mozambique

Church property has been vandalized, while authorities have so far failed to act

Archbishop Inácio Saure of Nampula
Archbishop Inácio Saure of Nampula

Archbishop Inácio Saure of Nampula, Mozambique, held a press conference on Wednesday, 3 September, to denounce the illegal occupation of Church land by groups of citizens who have built houses on the territory.

The invaded land includes plots on which the female congregation of the Servants of Mary, two seminaries and the parish of St John the Baptist in Marrare are located. In at least one of the cases, a mosque has been built on the land adjacent to one of the seminaries.

According to information sent to Aid to the Church in Need (ACN), in some cases property was destroyed and agricultural land was vandalised to facilitate the occupation. “They came and cut down many trees, and the wood was removed by truck. When we came to ask them to respect our private property they appeared with machetes and spears. They threatened us and told us they were going to demolish the seminary. They also took away our animals, that were raised by the seminarians,” says Archbishop Saure.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, authorities have taken no action. The issue has been ongoing for some time, and the Church has filed official complaints. On 16 May, a court ordered the provisional restitution of possession of the land to the Church, but five months later no practical action has taken place.

Archbishop Saure says that “officials who were sent there were chased away”, leading him to conclude that “there must be a very powerful invisible and untouchable hand encouraging the criminals”.

During the press conference the archbishop launched “a strong appeal, a call for help to all people of good will, in Nampula, in Mozambique and all over the world, because it seems that the law is worth nothing in this country”.

Justice must be served, the bishop demanded, “so that our rights are restored, because these are the rights of the poor, as the Church and its works are at the service of the poor. It is not fair that the Church’s goods should be stolen in this way.”

Father Benvindo Isaías de Jesus, director of the local Catholic Radio Encontro, says that the illegal occupations began a long time ago, but have become more intense since last year’s protests following elections in Mozambique, while Fr José Luzia, a missionary who has been in the country for almost six decades, tells ACN that there is suspicion among the faithful. “Some claim that the apparently organised occupation of Church land in Nampula could be related to the fact that Archbishop Inácio Saure has recently spoken out very critically about the social and political situation in the country,” says the missionary.

Regardless of the motivations behind the occupation of the land, there is an added concern that they may contribute to the worsening of interreligious relations in a country that is already suffering terribly from an Islamist insurgency in Cabo Delgado, just north of Nampula. “Most of those who spearhead the current occupations are Muslim. Once they have taken the land, the first thing they do is build a mosque,” says Fr Benvindo Isaías de Jesus.

ACN has worked closely with the Archdiocese of Nampula, and with the Church in Mozambique in general. The charity calls on all parties in Mozambique to uphold the rule of law and protect the legitimate rights of the Church, which works tirelessly to help the poorest all over the country, regardless of ethnic, religious or political affiliation.

 

Don't miss the latest updates!

Ukraine: “You did not only give us food, but a taste of God”

In eastern Ukraine people have grown numb to the danger…

Catholics returning ‘in their thousands, not hundreds’ say bishops

Thousands of Catholics in north-east Nigeria have returned to church…

Bishops of Venezuela ask country to come together for national reconciliation

The bishops’ have asked for the release of political prisoners,…

Catholic Church steps up pressure on Nigerian government over rising violence

Over the past days several Catholic organisations and dioceses have…

Significant drop in arrests of priests in 2025 but deaths increase

The number of kidnappings also dropped slightly compared to 2024…

Christians call for peace and prayers as violence returns to Aleppo

Civilians are once again the main victims as the Kurdish-led…

Nigeria: A decade of terror for Catholic priests

New data highlights scale of priest kidnappings amid Nigeria’s security…

Gaza prepares for a Christmas without peace, but not without hope

As Christmas approaches, the priest of the only Catholic parish…

Ukraine: “You did not only give us food, but a taste of God”

In eastern Ukraine people have grown numb to the danger of air raids but faith is growing. A bishop tells ACN that “without your help we would be like refugees.”...

Catholics returning ‘in their thousands, not hundreds’ say bishops

Thousands of Catholics in north-east Nigeria have returned to church in defiance of their fears following more than 15 years of violent insurgencies. Bishop John Bakeni and Bishop Oliver Doeme,...

Four years of ACN support in war-torn Ukraine

The generosity of countless benefactors has helped to keep the Church in Ukraine alive and ready to continue to help those suffering most from the full scale invasion of 2022....