Home » News » The Coronavirus in Venezuela – “a difficult moment and a trial”

The Coronavirus in Venezuela – “a difficult moment and a trial”

The presence of the coronavirus has already been recorded in Venezuela, with over 70 people so far testing positive for Covid-19. The country has already shut its borders and imposed an obligatory social quarantine since 16 March. It is a situation that poses a great threat to a population that is already more vulnerable, given the deplorable state of the Venezuelan hospital system.

The Venezuelan bishops’ conference has also taken preventative measures, including the suspension of Holy Mass with a congregation.

“This is a difficult moment and a trial, from which we will emerge victorious, thanks to our faith and hope, which must now be expressed in works of charity and solidarity. And so we invite all our brothers and sisters within our nation to draw closer to God. During these times of a healthcare crisis we must remind ourselves that the Lord is in our midst and will not abandon us. He is the Rock who saves us.”

So runs the statement by the bishops, which was published on 15 March. The empty streets in Venezuela are a sign not only that people are observing the quarantine rules but also of the grave concern among the people about the consequences that could result if the disease spreads among the population.

A doctor working in one of the main hospital centres in the country, who asks not to be identified, has told ACN that “the Venezuelan hospital system is not ready for the great emergency that could result from numerous people being infected by Covid-19. The precarious situation of the hospitals and the shortage of medicines is already well known throughout the world.”

Given the shortage in Venezuela of testing equipment to determine if people have been infected by the coronavirus, it is impossible to have any real idea of how many Venezuelans are in fact victims of Covid – 19.

There is likewise great concern among those members of the population who have to work in order to earn a living and feed themselves, and yet who cannot work on account of social isolation. “I don’t know how long we will have to put up with the quarantine, but if the virus doesn’t kill us, we will die of hunger instead”, said Ester Chacón, a small trader.

On Sunday 22 March the 150-plus priests of the diocese of San Cristobal were asked by their bishop, Mgr Mario Moronta, to ring their church bells at 12 noon and – while observing the self-isolation rules – to bring the Blessed Eucharist to the doors of their churches and “from there to bless the whole city, the whole country, the neighbouring country of Colombia and the whole world, calling on God to free us from this pandemic.”

At the same time Bishop Mario Moronta called on the authorities to “guarantee its citizens safe access to food and medicines, to medical care and also to ensure there are no power cuts or shortages of water and other essential services. We also call on them to take note of the immoral practices of certain persons who are exploiting the health emergency and unreasonably raising the prices of essential commodities for all the people. Those who are behaving in this manner have no fear of God”, he added.

The international Catholic charity and pontifical foundation ACN International has funded a number of aid campaigns for the Church in Venezuela. During 2019 it gave over 1 million Euros in aid – for the support of priests and religious, for formation and pastoral care and for various emergency aid projects such as food kitchens, boreholes and electricity generators.

Don't miss the latest updates!

Bishops of Venezuela ask country to come together for national reconciliation

The bishops’ have asked for the release of political prisoners,…

Catholic Church steps up pressure on Nigerian government over rising violence

Over the past days several Catholic organisations and dioceses have…

Significant drop in arrests of priests in 2025 but deaths increase

The number of kidnappings also dropped slightly compared to 2024…

Christians call for peace and prayers as violence returns to Aleppo

Civilians are once again the main victims as the Kurdish-led…

Nigeria: A decade of terror for Catholic priests

New data highlights scale of priest kidnappings amid Nigeria’s security…

Gaza prepares for a Christmas without peace, but not without hope

As Christmas approaches, the priest of the only Catholic parish…

Burkina Faso: In the north, faith resists amid heavy international silence

The Church in northern Burkina Faso deplores the lack of…

Nigeria: 99 children freed reunite with their parents while 154 remain in captivity

Securing the release of the remaining students and staff remains…

Church calls for tighter security after 10 slaughtered

According to leading Church figures, over 100 people have been killed and 90,000 displaced in the Taraba State region since September 2025. Following a fresh massacre, the Church in Nigeria’s...

Bishops of Venezuela ask country to come together for national reconciliation

The bishops’ have asked for the release of political prisoners, for oil revenues to be applied to help the lower classes, and for the country’s sovereignty to be respected. The...

Cardinal to ACN: “Whoever does not give people God is giving them too little”

During his first visit to the international headquarters since being made president of ACN, Cardinal Koch highlighted the importance of the charity’s defence of religious freedom and its ecumenical dimension....