Back to the Roots, Return to Nineveh
To enable Iraqi Christians who wish to return home to villages in the Nineveh Plains, where they have lived for centuries, and to do so in dignity, safety, as well as security.
A Prayer for the Church in Nineveh Plains
Lord and God, hear today the cry of your children, now scattered to the four winds and forced to seek shelter in foreign lands. Hear the prayers of your people on the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates, in the land of Abraham, who since the beginnings of Christianity have not ceased to praise and glorify your Name. Throughout the centuries no day has passed there on which the Holy Sacrifice of the Body and Blood of your Son was not celebrated […]
Nineveh Reconstruction Committee (NRC)
The Nineveh Reconstruction Committee (NRC) is composed of two representatives from each Church (Chaldean, Syriac Catholic, Syriac Orthodox) each granted the full authority by their respective Church leadership. ACN has named two of three experts: A Technical Adviser (to liaise with the engineers) and an Administrator for project writing and the financial oversight. A coordinator (to mediate between the rites and oversee the project) is yet to be named. Bank accounts for each Church are also established.
The main tasks of the NRC, meeting weekly, will be to:
- Prioritize the projects to be implemented
- Agree on and maintain an ambitious but realistic timetable
- Ensure a single standard for cost estimations
- Assure that resources are distributed according to the ratios defined by the Damage Assessment Survey
- Prevent conflicts of interest
- Ensure proper use of funds
- Provide a regular progress reports that will inform any necessary adjustments to the project
- Strengthen solidarity among the Christian rites
- Provide transparent reporting