Home » Special Reports » Nicaragua: ACN condemns terrorist attack on cathedral

Nicaragua: ACN condemns terrorist attack on cathedral

ACN president expresses solidarity with Catholics in the country following the arson attack on the church

The international Catholic pastoral charity and pontifical foundation Aid to the Church in Need (ACN International) has condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist-style arson attack against the Catholic cathedral in Managua, the Nicaraguan capital. “We wish to express our closeness to the Catholics of the country at this difficult time and assure them of the support of our prayers”, said the executive president of the charity, Mr Thomas Heine-Geldern, on Saturday. “This is the most recent incident in a string of anti-Christian attacks, not only against buildings, but against the Catholic faith as well. We hope that the person or persons responsible for this attack will quickly be brought to justice.”

According to a statement by the archdiocese of Managua, on Friday 31 July a man entered the Chapel of the Precious Blood, in the Managua cathedral, and threw a firebomb, partially destroying a precious 17th century wooden image of the Blood of Christ before which Pope John Paul II had prayed during his visit to the country in 1996. The statement issued on Friday by the archdiocese expressly identified the attack as an act of terrorism, contradicting an earlier remark by the wife of President Ortega, who is also Vice-president, claiming that it had been an accident caused by burning candles. This was categorically denied by the archdiocese, which stated that precisely for fire safety reasons and on account of the great historical and religious significance of the crucifix no candles are permitted close to the image. Instead, witnesses had testified to the fact that this was a carefully planned and executed attack and that the attacker clearly knew exactly what he was doing with the firebomb.

“These attacks against the faith of the Catholic people need to be carefully analysed, in order to expose the ideological and physical perpetrators of this macabre and sacrilegious act”, the statement by the archdiocese continued.

The arson attack is merely the latest in a string of attacks against Catholic churches in Nicaragua. In the last two weeks alone there have been three such attacks on Catholic churches, with deliberate destruction and theft of sacred objects. The archdiocese described it as nothing less than an expression of hatred towards the Catholic Church and her mission of evangelization.

 

Don't miss the latest updates!

Christians of Yaroun, southern Lebanon, fear they will never return home

The Christian residents of the south-Lebanese border town of Yaroun…

ACN mourns Syrian archbishop who never abandoned his flock

Archbishop Jeanbart believed that had it not been for the…

Remembering Sudan: A responsibility that we must all bear, not just the governments

A missionary warns that the world has forgotten about Sudan,…

Muslim solidarity is “sign of hope” in Mozambique, says bishop

The statement comes in the wake of a devastating attack…

Islamists reduce historic church to rubble in northern Mozambique

The attack on the parish of St Louis de Montfort…

South Sudan: The bishop who brought his diocese back to life

When Bishop Stephen Nyodho was appointed for the Diocese of…

Statement on desecration of Christian statue in Lebanon

ACN calls on all to pray for the Christian communities…

Equatorial Guinea’s spiritual preparation for historic Papal trip

The local Church hopes that there will be a “before…

“This is the saddest time for my country.” Head of bishops’ conference asks that Cuba not be forgotten

The Church in Cuba continues to accompany a population marked by fear, deep necessities in all fields of life, and uncertainty. In a conversation with Aid to the Church in...

Christians of Yaroun, southern Lebanon, fear they will never return home

The Christian residents of the south-Lebanese border town of Yaroun are living in fear that they will never be able to return to the land of their ancestors. Fr Charles...

ACN mourns Syrian archbishop who never abandoned his flock

Archbishop Jeanbart believed that had it not been for the care of God the Christians of Syria would have been wiped out during the civil war. It was with sadness...