Home » News » Iraq: Please stay at home

Iraq: Please stay at home

Patriarch in urgent appeal as COVID-19 cases top 5,000

The leader of Iraq’s largest Christian community has issued an urgent plea for people to stay at home amid growing fears that the country cannot cope with a spiralling number of COVID-19 cases.

Chaldean Catholic Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako said the country’s medical services, still shattered after the 2003 collapse of the Saddam Hussein regime, are already in crisis, with cases topping 5,000, according to Iraq’s federal authorities.

In an interview yesterday (Thursday, 28th May) with Catholic charity Aid to the Church in Need, the Patriarch states: “The situation with the virus is getting worse – it is not possible to control it.”

He said lack of infrastructure and social care provision, especially in towns and cities, with poor job creation and corruption, meant people had limited protection against the virus. Patriarch Sako added: “There are many problems – no money, not enough hospitals, doctors or equipment – and the lockdown is against the culture here, especially for the men.´The people must stay at home. This is the only way to stay safe. The government are telling people what to do but people are not listening.”

Chaldean Catholic Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako.
Chaldean Catholic Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako.

The capital, Baghdad, where the Patriarch is based, has suffered the brunt of the pandemic. Iraq’s federal health ministry on Wednesday (27th May) stated that the vast majority of the 287 cases confirmed over the previous 24 hours had been in Baghdad. Patriarch Sako told ACN that last week five Christians had died of the virus. He added: “The Christians are mostly following the laws. They are usually more open-minded about the need to follow the government instructions.”

In response to a spike in cases, Iraq’s federal government re-imposed a national lockdown to coincide with the holiday for last weekend’s Islamic feast of Eid al-Fitr. The figures provided by Iraq’s federal authorities do not cover Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdistan region which has recorded more than 500 cases with five deaths. Patriarch Sako said the Church was distributing emergency aid – for Christians and non-Muslims alike – through the parishes. Last month (April), ACN announced a €5 million COVID-19 (£4.49m) response package concentrating on project priority countries, with further grants being announced over the last week.

Don't miss the latest updates!

Bishops of Venezuela ask country to come together for national reconciliation

The bishops’ have asked for the release of political prisoners,…

Catholic Church steps up pressure on Nigerian government over rising violence

Over the past days several Catholic organisations and dioceses have…

Significant drop in arrests of priests in 2025 but deaths increase

The number of kidnappings also dropped slightly compared to 2024…

Christians call for peace and prayers as violence returns to Aleppo

Civilians are once again the main victims as the Kurdish-led…

Nigeria: A decade of terror for Catholic priests

New data highlights scale of priest kidnappings amid Nigeria’s security…

Gaza prepares for a Christmas without peace, but not without hope

As Christmas approaches, the priest of the only Catholic parish…

Burkina Faso: In the north, faith resists amid heavy international silence

The Church in northern Burkina Faso deplores the lack of…

Nigeria: 99 children freed reunite with their parents while 154 remain in captivity

Securing the release of the remaining students and staff remains…

Four years of ACN support in war-torn Ukraine

The generosity of countless benefactors has helped to keep the Church in Ukraine alive and ready to continue to help those suffering most from the full scale invasion of 2022....

Ferdinand Habsburg appointed Secretary General of ACN International

Ferdinand Habsburg joins ACN following a successful and international career in the media and education sector. The pontifical foundation Aid to the Church in Need – International (ACN) has announced...

Church calls for tighter security after 10 slaughtered

According to leading Church figures, over 100 people have been killed and 90,000 displaced in the Taraba State region since September 2025. Following a fresh massacre, the Church in Nigeria’s...